INDIAN KETOGENIC DIET FOR WEIGHT LOSS
In my last posting on Keto diet ,I explained how Keto diet helps in effective weight loss.
Here is the link for the last post.
In this post ,I will give details of Indian ketogenic diet.
Keto diet requires us to consume 60 to 70%fats,20 to 30% proteins and less than 10 to 20% carbohydrates.
Since it requires to eat more fats ,you must chose healthy fats.
WHAT TO EAT IN KETO DIET ?
1) VEGETABLES :
All non-starchy and cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage,palak/spinach, Mushrooms, Bottlegourd,pumpkins and brinjals, raddish, asparagus, bokchoy, butterhead lettuce, zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes, capsicums, horse gram,
2) DAIRY PRODUCTS: butter, ghee, paneer,full fat yogurt and cheese. Full fat milk in limited quantity.
3) EGGS: any preparation is ok. Cautiously select the brand of eggs though as these days antibiotics and harmones are injected in poultry.
4) NON VEG:
meat or fish, fatty or lean. Red Meat and Pork Meat to be had in limited quantity.
5) LOTS OF WATER: Water helps enhance the overall metabolic profile of our body.
6) NUTS and SEEDS: Almonds ,wallnuts ,peanuts ,cashews and pistachios ,Seeds like pumpkin flax and chia seeds,
7)OILS;coconut oil and olive oil is better, Best if consumed Virgin form.
WHAT NOT TO EAT IN KETO DIET ?
1) VEGETABLES :
Avoid Starchy root vegetables like potato, and sweet potato.
Other roots like carrot and beetroot are in limited quantity.
Onion to be eaten in limited quantity.
2)AVOID ALL GRAINS:
All grains (rice, wheat, maize/corn, jowar, ragi, oats, even exotic cereals like quinoa) .
Avoid Dals and lentils too.
NO chapati, roti, parota, dosa, idly and Bread.
3) Avoid all sugars ,Honey and jaggery.
4) Avoid sauces ,syrups and soups .
5) AVOID ALCOHOL :
Even though whiskey,vodka are low carbohydrate drinks ,they inhibit fat burning.It is preferable to avoid all alcohols.
LOW CARB FRUITS FOR KETOGENIC DIET
Raspberries,Blackberries,Strawberries and Avocado can be eaten in limited quantity. They also enhance your vitamin profile and reduces internal inflamation.
ALL OTHERS FRUITS TO BE AVOIDED.
EXAMPLE of Indianketo diet:
1) Breakfast: paneer bhurji or cheese omelette with vegetables or egg bhurji with coconut or olive oil with vegetables.
Coconut chutney can be used daily.
2) Lunch: spinach soup with mushrooms and broccoli with boiled Eggs.
Paneer tikka/cauliflower fried.
chicken tikka or fish tikka or mutton for non vegetarians
3) Dinner: green vegetable salad with cheese/ghee fried paneer.
Eggs in any form
Chicken/fish /mutton for non vegetarians.
Any of the Keto fruits mentioned can be consumed, preferably ib the morning hours.
Following Keto diet for long time is difficult for Indians as we are used to grain based diet.Food options for vegetarians are less.
A Tip That Can Make Keto Diet More Practical
Following Cyclical Keto diet (is a low-carbohydrate Keto diet with intermittent periods of moderate carbohydrate consumption. ) is abetter option for obese people who are resistant to low carbohydrates diet .