In my last posting on Keto diet, I explained how Keto diet helps in effective weight loss.
Here is the link to the last post – KETOGENIC DIET FOR OBESITY-WEIGHT LOSS
In this post, I will give details of Indian ketogenic diet. Keto diet requires us to consume 60 to 70%fats,20 to 30% proteins and less than 10 to 20% carbohydrates. Since it requires to eat more fats, you must choose healthy fats.
What To Eat In Keto DIET?
1) Vegetables :
All non-starchy and cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, palak/spinach, Mushrooms, Bottlegourd, pumpkins and brinjals, radish, asparagus,bokchoi, butterhead lettuce, zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes, capsicums, horse gram,
2) Dairy Products: butter, ghee, paneer, full-fat yogurt, and cheese. Full-fat milk in limited quantity.
3) Eggs: Any preparation is ok. Cautiously select the brand of eggs though as these days antibiotics and hormones are injected in poultry.
4) Non Veg: Meat or fish, fatty or lean. Red Meat and Pork Meat to be had in limited quantity.
5) Lots Of Water: Water helps enhance the overall metabolic profile of our body.
6) Nuts And Seeds: Almonds, walnuts, peanuts , cashews and pistachios, Seeds like pumpkin flax and chia seeds,
7) Oils: Coconut oil and olive oil is better, Best if consumed Virgin form.
What Not To Eat In Keto DIET?
1) Vegetables :
Avoid Starchy root vegetables like potato, and sweet potato.Other roots like carrot and beetroot are in limited quantity. Onion to be eaten in limited quantity.
2) Avoid All Grains:
All grains (rice, wheat, maize/corn, jowar, ragi, oats, even exotic cereals like quinoa). Avoid Dals and lentils too. NO chapati, roti, parota, dosa, idly and Bread.
3) Avoid all sugars, Honey, and jaggery.
4) Avoid sauces, syrups, and soups.
5) Avoid Alcohol: Even though whiskey, vodka is low carbohydrate drinks, they inhibit fat burning. It is preferable to avoid all alcohols.
Low Carb Fruits For Ketogenic Diet
Raspberries, Blackberries, Strawberries, and Avocado can be eaten in limited quantity. They also enhance your vitamin profile and reduces internal inflammation.
All Others Fruits To Be Avoided
EXAMPLE of Indianketo diet:
1) Breakfast: Paneer bhurji or cheese omelet with vegetables or egg bhurji with coconut or olive oil with vegetables.
Coconut chutney can be used daily.
2) Lunch: Spinach soup with mushrooms and broccoli with boiled Eggs. Paneer tikka/cauliflower fried. chicken tikka or fish tikka or mutton for non vegetarians
3) Dinner: Green vegetable salad with cheese/ghee fried paneer. Eggs in any form Chicken/fish /mutton fornon-vegetarianss.
Any of the Keto fruits mentioned can be consumed, preferably in the morning hours.
Following Keto diet for a long time is difficult for Indians as we are used to the grain-based diet. Food options for vegetarians are less.
A Tip That Can Make Keto Diet More Practical
Following Cyclical Keto diet (is a low-carbohydrate Keto diet with intermittent periods of moderate carbohydrate consumption. ) is a better option for obese people who are resistant to low carbohydrates diet.