Introduction to Diabetes:
Diabetes mellitus is the other name given for diabetes. Diabetes is a disease that occurs when the level of blood sugar or blood glucose gets too high and is the main source of energy that comes out of the food you eat. The pancreas produces a hormone named insulin which helps the glucose enter into the cells from the food for utilizing the produced energy. It happens sometimes, that the body is unable to make enough insulin and is unable to utilize the insulin properly, and therefore, the produced glucose stays in the body and does not reach the body cells which further gives rise to the diabetes disease. It is a disease that cannot be cured; rather it can only be managed by taking some measures. Some of its symptoms include increased appetite, urination will be frequent and increased thirst and if the problem of diabetes is ignored or left untreated, it can cause severe health complications like damaged nerves and eyes, cognitive impairment, foot ulcers, diabetic ketoacidosis, chronic kidney disease, or even death. The treatment of diabetes can be done by providing different medications. There are various diabetes specialists around the world. Dr. Vishwanath B.L., Dr. Balaji Jaganmohan, Dr. Vasudha Paul, Dr. Shalini Rajesh, Dr. Nidhi Garg, Dr. Basavaraj GS, Dr. Siri Kamath are some of the best diabetes doctors (diabetologists) in Bangalore.
Different variations of diabetes:
The various types of diabetes are discussed below:
- Type 1 diabetes: It is one of the most common types seen in teenagers and children. In type 1 diabetes, healthy cells present in the pancreas are attacked by the immune system is responsible for the formation of insulin and therefore, this type is also known as an autoimmune condition.
- Type 2 diabetes: The second type of diabetes occurs, when the body is unable to respond to the insulin made by the pancreas and the time comes when there is no formation of enough insulin by the pancreas. It may occur through genetics or due to any lifestyle factors like being overweight.
- Gestational diabetes: This type of diabetes occurs during pregnancy due to hormonal changes. During the formation of hormones in the placenta, the body’s sensitivity gets lowered to insulin, resulting in the increase of high blood sugar during pregnancy.
The above three are the most common types of diabetes from which the people mostly suffer but there is other diabetes caused by different conditions including pancreatic cancer, cystic fibrosis, or pancreatitis. Apollo Sugar Clinics & Hospital is one the best clinic near me for the treatment of diabetes.
Diet plans for Type 2 diabetes- Its symptoms, its preventions, and its treatment for both men and women:
Since the last few decades, it has been seen that the disease of diabetes has been rapidly increased, and therefore, it is necessary to be aware of its symptoms, its prevention, and its treatment. Like type 1 diabetes, the symptoms of type 2 diabetes are also the same.
The common symptoms of diabetes are:
- Immoderate thrust and hunger
- Recurring of urination
- Exhaustion and fatigue
- Blurred vision
- Occurrence of Diabetic kidney disease
- Unpredicted weight loss
The uncommon symptoms of diabetes are:
- Dark skin around the neck: It mostly occurs when the skin cells reproduce much faster than normal due to the high-level insulin in the bloodstream. This condition is also stated as acanthosis nigricans (AN) and sometimes it also occurs in armpits and in the pubic area.
- Frequent infections: Diabetes tends to weaken your immune system, making you suffer more illness and as a result, frequent infections rise which includes bladder infections, vaginal infections, skin infections, and yeast infections.
- Pain in the limbs: Cramps and pain in the limbs occur when the nerves get damaged by high sugar levels. The other name for this condition is known as diabetic neuropathy. It also gives a sensation of numbness or burning in the limbs.
Symptoms of diabetes in men are:
- Loss of vision
- Occurrence of frequent urination
- Erectile Dysfunction
Symptoms of diabetes in women are:
- Irregular periods
- Unexpected weight loss
- Painful Urination
Causes of type 2 diabetes:
Some of the causes of type 2 diabetes are:
- A high amount of glucose from the liver
Measures to prevent Type 2 diabetes:
As stated above, diabetes cannot be cured completely but the blood sugar can be reduced or managed and some of the ways to prevent type 2 diabetes are:
- Stop consuming refined carbs and sugar from your regular diet
- Regular workout is a must
- Avoid large portions of food
- Include high-fiber food and coffee or tea in your diet
- Eat homemade foods rather than processed or packaged foods
- Water should be your foremost beverage
- Quit drinking and smoking
Diet plan for Type 2 diabetes:
When talking about the diet, water should be the primary beverage that should be included in the plan, and packaged and processed food which includes cake, cookies, chips, and many more should be completely replaced with homemade foods.
Various nutritious foods which should be included in the diet plan include spinach, beans, chickpeas, oats, apples, oranges, cauliflower, broccoli, walnuts, almonds, lentils, pumpkin seeds, cashews, seafood, tofu, olive oil, black coffee, and vegetable juice
Click here to find out Type 2 Diabetes Diet Plan – Symptoms, Prevention, Treatment for Men and Women
Best exercises for diabetes:
As discussed above, daily exercise should be included in your morning work. Regular exercise helps in balancing your weight and blood sugar level. It improves your health and also reduces the risk of strokes and heart attack. People suffering from diabetes can also prevent diabetes development by regular exercising. Here are 6 exercises that will help you to prevent diabetes and will make you fit.
- Walking: For walking or running, people don’t need any membership in the gym or any expensive equipment for exercise. A safe place and a pair of supportive shoes are everything that a person needs for walking. 30-40 minutes of regular walk is sufficient for diabetes suffering people. When going to nearby places, prefer taking a walk rather than taking a four-wheeler or motorbike.
- Cycling: Mostly half of the people with type 2 diabetes suffer from joint inflammation or arthritis. A person suffering from type 2 diabetes also suffers from joint pain because of the damaged nerves. If you are having lower joint pain, follow low-impact exercise and cycling is one the best example of it. 30 minutes of cycling for 4-5 days a week is sufficient.
- Dancing: Joining any fitness classes or dance classes will also help you meet your fitness goals. For example, Zumba dance is one of the fitness programs which is a combination of aerobic movements and dance for a fast workout. A review of 2015 showed that women with type 2 diabetes have improved their fitness and lost their weight with 16 weeks.
- Swimming: Swimming plays a very crucial role in training your overall body muscles and it is one of the best exercises for burning heavy calories. It gives a workout also to the lungs ad heart and will also give you relief from the joint pain; also it helps in lowering the blood sugar levels.
- Yoga: Yoga has been recommended from the time of rishi munis. It helps in balancing cholesterol levels, blood sugar, and weight. It also improves your sleep quality and energizes your body and keeps you stress-free.
Effective Yoga for diabetes:
Apart from several physical exercises like walking, dancing, swimming, cycling, weightlifting, practice yoga as it helps to calm the body and mind.
Importance of Yoga for diabetes:
- Yoga helps in improving insulin sensitivity.
- Yoga reduces depression and anxiety.
- Improves digestion and blood circulation.
- Maintains flexibility and the posture of the body.
- Boosts up the energy level and concentration power.
Effective Asanas or postures for diabetes:
Here are the 5 effective Asanas discussed below for the treatment of prediabetes:
- Dhanurasana: This asana is known as bow pose. It helps in regulating and strengthening the pancreas and the abdomen muscles and acts as a digestion booster.
- Bhujangasana: Also known as cobra face. Reduces the levels of blood sugar. It also helps in relieving the stress of the body and relaxes the mind.
- Tadasana: It is also known by the name of mountain pose. Improves the concentration level and strengthens your knees and promotes flexibility of the spines. It enables the internal organs to work more effectively. It can also be practiced by females who are suffering from gestational diabetes.
- Chakarasna: Also known as Wheel Pose. It helps in relaxing the spine. Reduces stress and calms the mind and also maintains the blood sugar level.
Click here to find out Yoga for Diabetes
Vital vitamins for preventing diabetes:
Adequate nutritional support is vital for diabetes because diabetes consumes all the vitamins from your body and makes you deficient. Therefore, taking vitamin supplements is very important. To maintain preventing diabetes and managing the blood sugar levels, you should follow healthy diets with regular exercises and yoga and follow by this also intake some essential vitamin supplements. Rather than taking more supplements, always consume nutritional food because the tablets may have some side effects because of the active ingredients added to them.
Here are 4 vitamins for diabetes:
- Vitamin B12: Vitamin B12 is important for maintaining the health of the red blood cells and for the proper functioning of the brain. Metformin is a drug provided to people with type 2 diabetes and the excess intake of it leads to the deficiency of Vitamin B12. Vitamin B12 can also be taken for vegans. Foods like spinach, banana, chickpeas, broccoli, milk, eggs, fish, and meat products are good sources of this vitamin.
- Vitamin D: Deficiency of Vitamin D in diabetic patients may lead to the increase of many complications or death. In order to provide vitamin D to your body include various food in your diet like egg yolks, dairy products, sunflower seeds, mushrooms, and fish. Intake of sunlight for 10-20 minutes will also help you in achieving a higher level of Vitamin D and it is one of the natural ways to decrease its deficiency.
- Vitamin E: It helps in fighting the external toxins, oxygenates the blood, and also improves the efficacy of insulin. Vitamin E prevents damaging the cells and premature aging and helps in balancing the blood sugar level for diabetic patients. Avocados, almonds, and hazelnuts are good sources of Vitamin E.
Click here to find out Essential Vitamins For Diabetics
Requirement of diabetes home test:
Regular checkup of sugar or blood glucose is an essential part of your diabetes care plan. Self-monitoring is necessary for your treatment because it will enable you to learn how to manage your blood sugar level anytime and anywhere.
Who needs to do this test?
Testing your blood glucose on your own will be recommended by your doctor and if they suggest you check at home then they will provide you with a plan of how often to do and how to use and at what time with the specific target of your blood sugar. Diabetes home tests are applicable for:
- Type 1 diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes
- Symptoms of diabetes
By testing diabetes on your own, you will get an idea of your level of blood sugar, and with this, you will also be able to know that what to do to maintain the level.
What are the steps for this test?
Purchase certified equipment for the home test so that it will provide a manual reading. Here are the few things required for testing sugar at home:
- A glucose meter
- Portable cases
- A lancet (small needle) and a lancet device
- Test strips
Follow these general steps for home testing:
- Clean your hands with water.
- Insert a lancet (small needle) into the lancet device.
- Place a new strip into the meter.
- Prick your finger with the needle.
- Place the drop of blood onto the test strip and wait for the results.
When to test?
The schedule of your testing will be recommended by your doctor according to your plan of treatment.
Type 1 diabetes:
As recommended by our physician, you may need to test
- Before meals and snacks
- Before and after exercise
- Before bed
- If you are sick
- If starting a new medication
Type 2 diabetes:
Depends on what you’re taking for treating your diabetes:
- If you are taking multiple injections daily then before meals and at bedtime
- If you are intermediate, before breakfast and dinner
For any information, you can consult the diabetic specialists in Bangalore online anytime you need.
Click here to find out The importance of a home diabetes test
What all awareness should be kept by the diabetic patient during Covid?
Here is the list of a few things from which diabetes should be aware of:
- Take your medicines in time: Diabetic patients should never miss their dose of medicines or the shots of insulin because is the only way to balance their blood sugar level.
- Follow the specific diabetes diet regularly: During Covid, the diet plan should be followed strictly. Avoid taking carbohydrates; instead, consume nutritious food and protein-rich food with a good amount of minerals and vitamins. Also, consult your dietician to make a complete diabetes diet plan for enhancing your immune system as well.
- Regular checkup of diabetes level: Purchase a diabetes checkup kit for tracking the blood sugar level and if required, consult a doctor.
Take the Covid vaccine as soon as possible for minimizing the effect of the coronavirus if in case you are affected by it. The most important thing, follow a healthy lifestyle.
Click here to find out What Does A Diabetic Patient Need To Be Aware Of During Covid?
Diabetes Care Tips During the Coronavirus Pandemic:
People of all ages can be affected by the Coronavirus but people suffering from diabetes should be more aware and cautious.
Here are 5 care tips for diabetes patients during the pandemic:
- Follow the guidelines of CDC: There are few guidelines provided by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control And Prevention) and these are:
- Wear your mask.
- Clean your hands often with soap and water.
- Avoid crowds.
- Be clean and sanitized.
- Take your vaccination timely.
- Cover while coughing or sneezing.
- Keep your diabetes treatment supplies and equipment clean: While tracking the blood sugar level, keep your hands clean. Clean the areas where the medication was injected with soap and water. Do not share the needle and dispose of the needle safely after its use. Always keep your equipment clean.
- Store your extra medications and supplies of medications: In this situation, always store extra supplies and medications so that you don’t need to go out every time for your medicines and equipment.
Click here to find out Diabetes Care Tips During the Coronavirus Pandemic
Doubts regarding Diabetes:
70% of people all over the world are suffering from diabetes. If you get to see some symptoms of diabetes then you should consult a diabetologist. There are several famous diabetologists in Bangalore.
Diabetologist recommends you few tests for confirming your sugar level and you may have several doubts regarding the tests and methods. A few questions which may arise are:
- If I have symptoms then what is the purpose of testing?
- And why there are so many tests just to check my blood sugar level, and many more.
There are several tests according to your symptoms and some of them are:
- Fasting blood sugar test (FBS)
- Postprandial blood sugar test (PPBS)
- Oral glucose tolerance test (GTT)
- HbA1c test
Book your appointment today with Dr. Vishwanath, the best diabetologist in Bangalore for any doubts and information regarding diabetes. To visit Dr. Vishwanath, book your appointment or contact at +91 – 9986777084.
Click here to find out DIABETES DOUBTS