THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF “GIVING”
Giving something cannot be limited to money alone. Nearly the predominant forms involve non-material ‘givings’ such as love, care, affection, volunteering, appreciation, and more. These are deemed to be ‘good giving’ because they don’t cost anything from us!
Internal Universe within Us
Did you know that we are a part of the ‘Kaarana Shareera’ (in Sanskrit)? Yes, there is also another universal body; human consciousness (‘Satchitananda’) is one of its portions. The internal universe (Aham Brahmasmi) makes us intact with all of these. So, your body is not a machine. We are a set of cells that holds universal energy. And this energy is bound with the earth’s gravitational force.
Additionally, nature functions through a dynamic exchange process. It’s called cosmic energy, and all living things (including and around you) are a part of it. Though we have individual differences, our cosmic energy remains neutral to all. And this unexplainable, powerful force controls us.
What we can take back here is that our mind and body together is a universal composition; utilize this by sharing and loving each soul on earth. This is not mere spirituality, but an actual nature’s law!
So, hate people? Your bodily cells get confused, and you become sick soon. On the flip side, when you share and love people, the cells inside your body turn healthy and happy. Therefore, the health benefits of giving, sharing, and loving each other, what is referred to as a pure state of wellness, generally seen as a healthy mind-body relationship.
Here’s the Science Behind ‘Giving’
We secrete a few “feel good” hormones;
- Serotonin – Mood-Mediating Chemical.
- Dopamine – Feel-Good Reward System.
- Oxytocin – Compassion & Bonding Chemical.
These secretions are frequent in people who express ‘love and share’ attitudes like a health & wellness speaker, social worker, etc. These chemicals formed due to giving or helping
- Act as a drug-free method to improve the quality of your sleep, where Insomnia (sleeplessness) is a growing concern today.
- Prevent heart diseases.
- Extend your overall longevity.
- Make you feel better, happy, and content.
Even studies find giving-centric health benefits. For instance, researchers assess the functional MRIs of subjects who donated to charities. What they found was that their mesolimbic pathway is stimulated at the center of the brain, where endorphins get released. And this is due to the giving behavior! Other perks (as per research data):
- Stress Level Management.
- BP control or reduction.
- Longer Lifetime.
- Depression Lowering.
- Happy, Satisfied Mental Health.
To Give vs Your Ego
The family and marriage separator, your ego is a chief psychological health destroyer. Many of us hold extreme, unhealthy levels of ego. Halt ego by ‘giving’. Ego diffuses by giving, and it also develops empathy for fellow beings. It makes you magnanimous and makes you well-accommodative to life circumstances!
- Your total health is related to the ‘mind-body’ phenomenon. So, healthy bodies need healthy minds.
- Your universal body cells love each other and are controlled by universal cosmic energy. Spread it to others too.
- Compassion, giving, and genuine love are the hidden benefits of giving and to achieve a healthy lifestyle.
- While stress and hatred pave the way to illness, wellness comes from sharing and loving each other.
- To be healthy, keep loving and giving unconditionally!