With the fast-changing world and a need to succeed in life, we have put our health as a secondary concern, which has led to a variety of lifestyle diseases. Insomnia or the inability to sleep is a lifestyle disorder. Many people suffering from this are resorting to sleeping pills to sleep. Instead of using these artificial supplements, insomniacs can take help of many natural sleep remedies to get a good sleep.
Following are some of the common food and spices, found across India, which even the best dieticians in Bangalore would agree help reduce the symptoms of insomnia:
- Bananas: A commonly accessible fruit that contains adequate amounts of Potassium and Magnesium which act as a muscle relaxant that help the patient relax into a comfortable sleep.
- Almonds: Eating 5-6 soaked Almonds every day in the evening provides the patient with sufficient Magnesium and Tryptophan content that is helpful for sleep.
- Cherries: Having 8-10 cherries in the evening helps in sleeping because it contains Melatonin that is a sleep cycle regulating hormone.
- Flax Seeds: Flax Seeds contain sufficient amount of Omega-3, Magnesium and Tryptophan that induce sleep.
- Fenugreek Water is a good sleeping aid
- Dark Chocolate: The Serotonin present in Dark Chocolate has a calming effect on the brain leading to a night of good calming sleep.
- Chamomile Tea: Chamomile Tea has a hefty amount of Apigenin that binds to Benzodiazepine receptors in the body leading to induction of sleep. Apart from this, there are other herbal teas made with valerian root extract, lavender and Aniseed (Sompu) which when consumed at bedtime helps one sleep properly.
- Warm Milk mixed with either Saffron, Turmeric, Nutmeg powder, Poppy Seeds or Jeera Powder, prepared depending on taste and convenience helps with relaxing and induces sleep.
- Ashwagandha and Bramhi: These herbs help in relieving stress, boosting cognition and for helping a person sleep. In the case of inducing sleep, Brahmi is very effective.
- Apple cider vinegar with honey is an effective remedy for insomnia.
- Listed below are some more supplements that are effective in reducing symptoms of insomnia:
|e.||Passion Flower||f.||Valerian Root|
|g.||Kava kava, and many more|
- Apart from the supplements mentioned above, meditating regularly can help in managing your sleep cycles and reducing any form of sleeping disorder or issues and reduce chronic stress by addressing several mind and energy-related cause for insomnia. It is possible because while meditating one focuses on his/her breathing. It alerts the mind to pay attention to the present and stops it from drifting in a wayward manner towards concerns about the past or future. As a result of which, the train of thoughts is broken evoking a relaxation response inducing a peaceful sleep for the person.
Final Remarks: The above discussed natural remedies are undoubtedly better and safer options to reduce insomnia instead of sleeping pills that cause side effects on prolonged use. It is also advisable to consume the mentioned food cautiously depending on requirements and their availability.