With the recent high demand for artificial sweeteners (or sugar-free edibles) on one side, the incidence of overweight, diabetes, and side effects of artificial sweeteners are also hiking on the other side. Within our India Food Industry and the FDA, there are 4 common artificial sweeteners:
The departments have also given approval for one more natural low-calorie sweetener called Stevia. These compounds are known to give you the taste of sweetness, even without the presence of any calories.
In a quick comparison to the actual sweetness of sugar (i.e. sucrose),
- Saccharine is 300 times sweeter.
- Sucralose is 600 times sweeter.
- Natural Stevia is 200 times sweeter.
And they have less or 0 calories! This is the reason why these components are added to the food products of diabetic patients as substitutes. Sometimes, even a centre for weight loss treatment in Bangalore suggests them for individuals preferring to lose excess fat.
5 Reasons Why Artificial Sweeteners are Bad for Health
With the use of artificial sweeteners, you are increasing your risk of getting diabetes and adding more unhealthy fat. Even several research studies support the same.
- The incoming calories are noted to confuse your brain, the endocrine system, and your gut for digestion. In the case of artificial sweeteners, they do not show up in your digestive process, hence not increasing the insulin levels. Even the hormones responsible to trigger the feeling of fullness get disabled. The sugars released eventually does not provide that satisfactory feeling from dopamine. These confusions arising in your metabolic activities can slow down the process itself, ultimately leading to issues like metabolic syndrome.
- One of the unusual artificial sweeteners’ side effects is that they modify your gut bacteria, hence leading to insulin resistance, pre-diabetes, and inflammation.
- These components make individuals feel hungrier and trigger them to crave even more starchy food carbs.
- The sugars you consume from artificial sweeteners if on a regular basis, can actually make you feel that the real sweet fruits and sweets are unpalatable. This means that the way you sense ‘taste’ changes.
- Overall, the biggest side effect of any artificial sweetener is that it is highly addictive on consumption.
Recommended Healthy Alternatives to Sugar
Rather than opting for sugar, go with some natural substitutes such as the following:
Honey has been used by our ancestors and is proven to have great health benefits. In its purest form, raw honey acts as a sweetener for desserts and drinks. But note that, anything must be in moderation. Otherwise, chances are likely that you might need support from a specialist for weight-loss treatment in Bangalore.
Jaggery was also another part of our ancestral sound living as they discovered that it boosts human immunity as well as the iron levels. While sugar loses its nutritive value during the processing, jaggery retains its traces of fiber, iron, and some mineral salts.
And the good thing is, jaggery also prevents medical conditions such as constipation, cough, and even detoxifies the liver. This is the best part of your winter season to keep your body and self warm.
Yet, remember to consume in moderation.
One of the remarkable health sweeteners, Stevia is indeed a South American natural herb. And that is why it being advisable to consume it in its nearly pure or natural form.
To Wind Up
Sugar is the whitest, deadliest compound to eat. This is more dangerous than gun powder. Artificial sweeteners are not good substitutes for sugar in the long run. Try to go with natural alternatives such as jaggery, honey, stevia, etc. whenever possible, and in minimal quantities only.