Chronic Neck Pain: Causes And Treatment
1. Long Working Hours In front of Laptop and Over usage of mobile leading to repetitive stress on the cervical spine due to the wrong posture overloading the neck [ neck ]. This occupational hazard is the Most common cases of chronic neck pain these days.
2. Obesity and Inactivity – Another Major Reason for Neck Pains.
3. Workouts in the wrong posture: Many people hit the gym and do weight training without perfecting the posture required for each workout, over the period of time due to prolonged stress on cervical spine causing neck pain. Workouts are good and needed, but do perfect the posture for every workout.
4. Sudden Jerks to the cervical spine can cause Neck Pain, commonly found in people who travel by Two Wheeler daily.
5. Wrong Posture While Sleeping:
All the above sources and causes, create Neck Pain because all of this over the period of time, produces a Disc Bulge or Disc Herniation which narrows the thecal sac which is the canal through which the spinal chord passes through and impinges the exiting nerve root which causes pain around neck and shoulder along with numbness or tingling sensation in the arm and fingers, in certain cases it also leads to cervical lordosis (loss of cervical spine curvature which results in Disc Bulge of Degenaration).
(A disc is a cartilage tissue between two vertebral columns)
1. Ice Pack in around neck and shoulder where there is a pain, thrice a day. Reduces inflammation and relieves pain.
2. Apply Ointments like Volini, Oxalgyn.
3. Physiotherapy Post Consultation and learn exercises specific to your cause from a Chiropractor to restore curvature related issues.
4. Muscle Relaxants post consultation.
5. Dietary Intervention: This is extremely important.
Include Turmeric into your diet, Green Tea, Walnuts, and Almonds. Beetroot, Broccoli, Berries. These have excellent anti-inflammatory properties and will reduce inflammations in the discs. Avoid Rice, Sugar and Processed food as they cause inflammation in the body.
6. Meditation: Meditation will have miraculous effects on healing this. At least 20mins to 1 hour of meditation is recommended depending on how chronic the pain is.
1. Hold mobile at the line of sight, do not bend your head while using the mobile.
2. The top edge of your laptop screens should align with your line of sight in a straight line. Do not have a posture which will force you to bend your head to be able to look at the screen.
3. After every half, an hour, get off your chair and get moving for a minute or two. Or at least every two hours ensure you are taking a 5mins break, avoid any screens during those 5mins, also stretch Your Neck Sideways and Vertically.
4. If overweight, start on a healthy weight loss program.
5. Regular Exercises or Workouts will strengthen muscles thus enhancing support to your spine and will keep the spine stable.
6. Yoga is a great way to prevent spine related issues and spondylitis and prevent the spine from losing its natural curvature.
Any Neck Pains, if remains for days together, one should consult an orthopedist, Identify the cause, and follow what I have explained above.
Surgical Intervention is the last preference.