Facts You Must Know About Magnesium
Did you know that magnesium is one of the minerals found abundantly in the body and makes for 70% of the bone? Also, this mineral is essential for the proper functioning of nearly 600 enzymes in our body. However, many people don’t know about the importance of this mineral, which is the main reason why nearly 70% of the population suffer from magnesium deficiency.
Causes of Magnesium Deficiency
Magnesium deficiency is caused because the food that we eat contains less level of this mineral. In other words, we don’t usually add magnesium-rich foods in our regular diet. Also, those who are suffering from diabetes 2 are prone to magnesium deficiency due to insulin resistance.
The other major causes of this mineral deficiency are:
- Processed foods, fish and certain medications have high levels of mercury, which causes magnesium deficiency
- Overuse of chemical pesticides and fertilisers and soil erosion has also reduced the level of magnesium in the crops, which in turn results in decreased levels of magnesium in the food that we eat.
- We follow a diet that is rich in refined carbohydrates and sugar. It results in insulin resistance or hyperinsulinemia, a condition that prevents normal absorption of this mineral into the cells. So, more amount of this mineral is excreted from the body.
- Increased consumption of alcohol could also cause this condition.
Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency
Muscle cramps, muscle weakness, insomnia, headaches, migraine and anxiety, are mild signs of magnesium deficiency.
The severe symptoms are
- Coronary artery disease
- arrhythmias(abnormally high heart rate)
- Hearing Loss
Deficiency of magnesium can lead to an increase of calcium and sodium in the cells, resulting in high blood pressure. Low levels of this mineral in the body could speed up ageing.
Diagnosing Magnesium Deficiency
One of the primary reasons for the high percentage of magnesium deficiency is because its symptoms are non-specific and difficult to diagnose.
Preventing Magnesium Deficiency
- Avoid sugar and refined carbohydrates
- Add magnesium-rich foods to your regular diet
- Have magnesium supplements
If you are on the lookout for “general physician doctors near me,” you can consult Dr Vishwanath, an experienced doctor who offers a natural treatment for various medical conditions. You can visit him at his health and wellness centre in Bangalore to avail personalised treatment for your medical condition.