Dengue is a pandemic-prone viral disease that is caused by mosquitos. Over the past five decades, instances of Dengue have increased 30-fold. Daytime bites cause Dengue by Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus mosquitoes. Once infected, humans become carriers of the virus, acting as a source for uninfected mosquitoes that can then spread the virus. According to the WHO, around 390 million people are infected with Dengue per year.
Severe Dengue or dengue haemorrhagic fever was first recognised during the 1950s and can be fatal in extreme cases. However, these days, less than 5% of all cases of Dengue can be classified as Dengue haemorrhagic fever. Of all the cases of people affected by Dengue, 95% of them are mild with high chances of recovery for the patient. The common symptoms of Dengue are:
- A high fever of around 104 F degrees
- Muscle, bone and joint pain
- Nausea or vomiting
- Pain behind the eyes
- Acute headache
- Body rashes
When faced with two or more of the symptoms of Dengue, it is important to visit a general physician who can diagnose the condition. Although there is no definitive cure for Dengue, it is possible to treat the symptoms of the disease. One of the natural treatments for Dengue that was found to be effective is papaya leaf extract. When taken along with dengue medication, the papaya leaf juice can help speed up the process of recovery.
A study conducted at the Indian Institute of Forest Management shows that the papaya leaf offers numerous benefits for those affected by Dengue. Patients who were administered papaya leaf extracts by the general physician showed significant improvement in health and reduced symptoms.
Benefits of papaya leaf
Papaya is one of the most loved fruits in the world.
Like the papaya fruit, the leaf is rich in enzymes like papain and chymopapain, which aid digestion.
The strong alkaloid compounds like karpain works effectively against fighting dandruff.
Papaya leaves also contain high amounts of vitamins A, C, E, K, and B and minerals like calcium, magnesium, sodium magnesium and iron.
- The extracts from papaya leaf are known to help increase the platelet count.
- Just as papaya, papaya leaf juice also acts as a potent cleansing agent for the liver.
- Papaya leaf juice works wonders to ease the menstrual flow and reduce the pain. Drinking this juice also brings down PMS symptoms.
- Papaya leaf juice has a rich content of vitamin C and A, which boost skin health and lend you a healthier and radiant skin.
- The extract of papaya leaf is said to promote hair growth, prevent balding and thinning of hair. It is an important ingredient used in anti-dandruff shampoos because of the karpain compound.
- Extracts from papaya leaf boasts of great anti-cancer properties majorly because of its compound acetogenin
For best results, patients must consume papaya leaf extracts at six-hour intervals.
Do you want to know more about healthy practices that you can incorporate to improve overall health? Head over to Dr Vishwanath’s health and wellness centres in Bangalore. He is a respected health blogger and wellness expert who can help you on your path to holistic wellness.