Six Crucial Nutrients for Diabetics
Diabetes is a lifestyle disease that is affecting nearly half the population. The major cause of this metabolic disease is improper diet and sedentary lifestyle. The best diabetes doctors in Bangalore recommend proper diet to reverse diabetes. The diet should contain both major and minor nutrients to ensure proper insulin production and glucose metabolism. In this blog, we will take a look at the six elements that are indirectly involved in glucose metabolism and insulin action, help in controlling blood sugar level.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid: It improves insulin sensitivity, lowers blood sugar level, improves blood vessel tone and decreases inflammation. Dietary ALA is bound to Lysine, an amino acid, because of which it has a limited benefit to the body and cannot circulate freely enough to perform its function. It can be naturally obtained from sources like Spinach, Broccoli, Peas and Tomatoes. Recommended Dose: 600 mg per day.
- Chromium: It increases insulin sensitivity by protecting the receptors and permitting effective binding of insulin. Exercising increases the concentration of tissue chromium in the body. Diabetes doctor in Bangalore are of the opinion that chromium plays a vital role in pre-diabetics and women who suffer from gestational diabetes. It can be naturally obtained from sources like Sea Foods, Brown Rice, Broccoli and Mushrooms. It is advisable for patients to increase chromium intake through food.
- Inositol: D-Chiro Inositol and Myo Inositol are effective in increasing insulin sensitivity, thereby bringing down blood glucose levels. Inositol is also efficient in controlling Gestational diabetes. Myo-inositol is very effective in cases of female fertility issues and Poly Cystic Ovary Disorder (PCOD). Inositol also may be somewhat effective in resolving the effects of diabetic neuropathy (nervous damage) caused due to diabetes. It can be naturally obtained from sources like Eggs, Meat, and Citrus fruits (such as Oranges, Peaches and Pears). Recommended Dose: 600 mg per day
- Co-Enzyme 10: Co-enzyme 10 acts as an anti-oxidant and produces energy. Statins, a cholesterol lowering drug usually used by diabetic people, brings down the level Co-enzyme 10, impairs insulin secretion and reduces insulin sensitivity in fat cells leading diabetes. Many anti-diabetes medications including Acetohexamide, Chlorpropamide, Glipizide, Glyburide, Tolazamide and Tolbutamide reduce coenzyme 10. Statin-induced diabetes can be treated with supplementing it with the right amount of CoQ10. Co-enzyme 10 cannot be obtained from food sources in an adequate amount. Recommended Dose: 200 mg a day of CoQ10 supplementation works for majority of patients.
- Magnesium: Magnesium (Mg) helps in preventing diabetes through improved cell functioning in Pancreas and increased insulin sensitivity by relaxing muscles that reduces insulin resistance in the body. It also helps in conversion of glucose to glycogen as well as in dealing with Diabetes Neuropathy. Green leafy vegetables, almonds, pumpkin seeds, mackerel fish, avocado and dry fruits like fish and apricots are rich in Magnesium. Magnesium Citrate is a safe supplement but is not essential as an adequate amount of Magnesium can be obtained from food.
- Zinc: Zinc, a critical element in insulin metabolism, is essential for the protection of Beta cells of Pancreas from destruction. It is effective in reduction of Hyperinsulinemia in PCOD patients. Intake of Zinc is often proved to be productive in lowering of blood sugar levels in some Type 1 diabetics as they are often zinc deficient. It can be naturally obtained from sources like Meat, Poultry, Pumpkin Seeds, Chickpeas, Spinach and Cashews.
Final remarks: All the elements and minerals mentioned above are not suggested replacements. They are to be considered essential supplements that can help in better blood sugar control through a well-planned and balanced diet. The mentioned elements that are not sufficiently available through diet can be taken in the form of tablets or capsules but only with the advice of a physician or a diabetologist. If you are looking for the best diabetes doctor in Bangalore to help you in effectively managing your blood sugar level, consult Dr Vishwanath.